This print of Firestone's 16th hole on the South Course was commissioned in 1997 after Italian stone masons rebuilt the bridge
that crosses a small creek in front of the green.
The 16th hole originally measured 575 yards when Bert Way designed it in 1929 - a long distance for the golfer back in that era.
Then Firestone commissioned Robert Trent Jones to redesign the golf course for the 1960 PGA Championship and he lengthened
the hole to 625 yards prompting the defending PGA champion Bob Rosburg to say "It's a bad hole. Jones has taken all of the skill
out of the hole."
The Monster got its nickname from Arnold Palmer when he made a triple bogey 8 on the hole during that famous 1960 PGA
Championship. After his round, Palmer called the hole "a Monster" and ever since, it's been known as "the Monster" - especially
since the hole was lengthened to a massive 667 yards in 2003!
The nickname is appropriate as one can see, the 2 bunkers behind the putting surface are the Monster's eyes and the pond, its
mouth waiting to gobble up any ball hit with timidity!
The original painting is in the permanent collection of the club.